Hammocks are a fun and easy way for most people to enjoy in nature. The hammock is small and easy to carry along and it makes a great place for a nap. Hammocks are also quite different from one another and getting the right hammock can certainly give you durability and long lasting use.
We have decided to look at the best camping hammock available of 2018, and how these hammocks could potentially make life easier for you. We have also included a thorough buyer's guide that shows you exactly which features are the most important to look at and ensure you do get the best possible value for your money.
Why You Might Need A Hammock
Many people do not choose to buy hammocks and they are actually not getting the best out of enjoying nature. The hammock is great for many purposes and it can be used as a sleeping area instead of a tent.
Not only does it help you relax in nature, but it also takes your head off the tough life in the city. Here are a few camping benefits that you will have when taking a hammock on your trip:
- More comfort and no more sleeping on rocks
- Versatility as they can be set up virtually anywhere
- More openness as you will be much more in nature, rather than inside a tent
- Multi-functionality as the hammock can just as easily be set up in the comfort of your own home
These are only the top 4 of many great benefits that the camper will have with a hammock. The hammock can be beneficial to the backpacker as well since it is very easy to fold and lightweight to carry around.
How To Choose A Good Camping Hammock
Since there are a wide variety of hammocks available in the market today, it can be quite daunting to choose the right one if you do not know what to look for. There are also many rip offs of cheap quality that could potentially be bad and these lack durability.
Here are the main things that we believe you should be looking for when choosing the best camping hammock for your trip:
Size is one of the main things that you should be looking for. The hammock should be the ideal size for your body and you will need to ensure that you can comfortably fit inside it. The bigger the hammock, the harder it will be to carry along, but at least you will have the maximum comfort.
There are a few types of hammocks and depending on your needs, you will need to choose the right one. Here is a small break down of the different types of hammocks that you will need to choose from:
- Spreader bar hammocks: The spreader bar hammocks are perfect for home use and they have metal and wooden bases that allow for an easy setup. These hammocks are a little bigger and they will be much heavier to carry around on your trips. We would recommend these hammocks only for home use.
- Jungle hammocks: These hammocks are popular in the Venezuelan jungle and ropes tie them. These hammocks are largely known for their stability and the ropes that will be able to keep the water from peering into the hammock. The hammocks offer durable surfaces, which are known to keep fungus and dangerous jungle crawlers out.
- Brazilian hammock: These hammocks are known for the fact that they are made from cotton fabrics. They are quite warm on the inside and do not offer much in terms of ventilation. We would recommend these hammocks mostly for cooler climates.
- Naval hammocks: These are also made from cotton, but they are much more durable and they can take a lot of heavy-duty use. The hammocks are also quite warm and they keep the sailors warm on the cold ocean.
- Travel or camping hammocks: These are the most common hammocks that can be found today. The hammocks are designed from nylon materials and they have been known for their comfort. The hammocks are also quite light and they usually weigh in at less than 2 pounds. They are versatile and mosquito nets can easily be fitted over them.
3. Moisture wicking
The jungle is often times wet and the weather can change in an instance. To ensure you are ready for this, you will need to get a fast-drying hammock. While nylon is generally great for these purposes, we would recommend staying away from things like cotton in the wet weather conditions.
The setup of the hammock is also really important and you will need to find out how easily the hammock can be set up. In the wild, you will need to set it up in a few moments or it will not be worth it. Too many ropes are also not the most desired options.
5. Weight capacity
Last but certainly not least, you will need to look at the weight capacity. Many times people buy a durable hammock that should be ideal for one person, but when two enter, the hammock will give in. The weight capacity is fundamentally important and we recommend looking at anything in the range of between 400 and 500 pounds.
Now that you have all the tools and knowledge to choose the best camping hammock, you will need some sort of guideline where to start. We have used and selected the top 10 hammocks for camping users in 2018.
10 Best Camping Hammocks of 2018
Which One of These Top Hammocks Would You Choose?
Now that you have a better understanding of these hammocks, you should be ready to enjoy all your trips. We have decided that the Hennessy Hammock Expedition Series is the clear winner and when compared to the others, it is much more durable and versatile.
This hammock should be the best camping hammock and perfect for all your trips year round.
**Image Credits: Amazon.com